We either love them or despise them, but no matter what our stance on New Year’s resolutions, there’s something incredibly energizing about stepping into a whole new year, offering us a new slate and the chance to make any adjustments we wish to improve total wellbeing or to accomplish a completely new goal or dream.
For anyone caring for older parents, the best New Year’s resolutions tend to be particularly meaningful, mainly because they impact not only the caregivers themselves, but their senior loved ones. It is essential, nonetheless, to keep resolutions practical. Resolving, for example, to get a full eight hours of sleep nightly, while taking care of a loved one who has problems with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, may be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Try instead to consider one of the following resolutions especially created with family caregivers in mind:
- I shall reach out for help and support, and accept assistance when offered.
- I give myself permission to say “no” to requests in order to avoid undertaking a lot more than I can easily handle.
- I can make my personal health (both physical and mental) a main concern, making sure that I schedule and keep health checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care isn’t selfish, and that by taking proper care of myself, I will take better care of my family member.
- I will examine closely my levels of energy, and take the appropriate steps to prevent allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If even the simple thought of attaining some of these goals seems too lofty to consider, we have a remedy! Partner with Grace Home Care, the leading provider of home care in Topeka, for highly trained, in-home respite care on a consistent schedule, permitting yourself necessary time away from fulfilling the care needs of your loved one, while knowing she or he will get a variety of benefits as well, including enhanced socialization through the companionship of a skilled, experienced, and thoughtful caregiver.
Beginning with a free-of-charge in-home consultation, we will listen to the requirements and challenges of your loved one, and formulate an individualized plan of care to fulfill those needs, through an assortment of services such as:
- Assistance with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as shopping and picking up prescriptions
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments and enjoyable outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and prep, with regard to any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, exercise, along with other pastimes that are appealing to the senior
- And many others
From all of us at Grace Home Care, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!