Living through over a year of a worldwide pandemic taught us never to take for granted the small but incredibly important things in life: shared laughter, hugging our loved ones, a dinner date in our favorite restaurant. We learned firsthand the importance of social wellness, how much socialization is to be valued, and just how lost and empty we can feel when it’s taken away.
July is Social Wellness Month, and now that vaccinations are reducing our need to isolate ourselves, it is the ideal chance to make sure that older adults have sufficient opportunities for socialization.
The Importance of Social Wellness
Scientific studies have found that those who stay social:
- Live longer
- Respond much better to stress
- Have healthier cardiovascular and endocrine systems
- Have a stronger immunity
- And more
Conversely, people who live a more isolated and secluded lifestyle are at increased risk for serious health complications – comparable to the risks linked to obesity, tobacco use, and high blood pressure.
How to Improve Social Wellness in Seniors
If a senior you love has become accustomed to solitary living and is unsure of the best way to increase socialization, these tips can help:
- Think of current interests, or those the older adult might wish to learn more about. Perhaps there’s always been a wish to learn to play the guitar, speak a new language, or plant an herb garden. No matter what the interest, investigate local opportunities for a class or group for the senior to join to learn a new skill or share an existing one with others.
- Gain the dual benefit of physical fitness through joining an exercise group or gym. There are a range of fitness classes specifically aimed at older adults, allowing for a low-impact workout together with the chance to form friendships. Just speak with a doctor for approval first.
- Find an organization or cause that the older adult is particularly passionate about, and look to see what their volunteer needs are. Seniors can find meaning and purpose along with socialization opportunities while helping someone in need.
How Grace Home Care Can Help
An in-home caregiving companion, like those employed by Grace Home Care, is a simple and easy strategy to enhance senior socialization. Our caregivers are fully trained, experienced, background-checked, and available for as much or as little time as a senior would like for fun activities, conversations, outings, and more. We are available to provide transportation and accompaniment to social activities for seniors, or just visit with the senior at home on a regular basis.
Contact our experts in home and respite care in Topeka, KS any time and let us help a senior in your life stay healthy, social and well. We offer a free in-home consultation at your convenience, so call us today at 785-286-2273.