Following a surgical procedure or hospitalization, the words we look forward to hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you are free to head home now!” What a sense of relief there is in entering the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and unwinding.
However, there are often a number of tasks necessary for proper healing and recovery and to prevent a re-hospitalization. For older adults who live alone, and even for anyone with family support, it can be intimidating to sort through the various post-hospitalization recommendations, make follow-up appointments, pick up prescriptions, adjust to any needed dietary or lifestyle changes, and much more.
This is where an experienced home care agency, like Grace Home Care, the experts in home care in Topeka, KS, is essential. Our transitional care can start even before discharge to make sure each important detail will be addressed. Working together with the hospital’s care team, we can develop and put into action a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, along with any dietary restrictions and/or allergies
- Ensuring the fridge and pantry are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any necessary medical equipment to be brought to the house
- Outlining any potential side effects and medical issues
After discharge, we can:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they are taken just as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, using the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, puzzles, card games, and other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of laundry and light household chores
- Provide support with walking to avoid falls
- Connect the senior with other local helpful resources
- And so much more
By partnering with the knowledgeable and compassionate care staff at Grace Home Care for transitional care, senior loved ones can decrease the anxiety that is often connected with a hospitalization and focus on acquiring the rest needed to recover. Not only that, but our services allow senior loved ones to avoid a stay in a rehabilitation facility so they can recover where they are most comfortable: at home.
If an older adult you love is facing an upcoming surgery, call us. We will be happy to come visit the senior at home and start to formulate a strategy to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety assessment and present suggestions for any changes necessary to prevent falls – a typical and unsafe occurrence after a hospitalization.